Carbon Offsets For Participant Travel
For the 2019 WINDPOWER Conference we added an option in registration to offset attendee and exhibitor travel. AWEA has purchased certified carbon offsets from the Dempsey Ridge Wind project for the 660 individuals who opted in on this new initative. The Dempsey Ridge 132 MW wind power project consists of 66 wind turbines on approximately 7,500 acres of agricultural and grazing land in Oklahoma. The project aims to generate electricity from renewable sources and thus displace electricity that otherwise would have been procured from the burning of fossil fuels.
This optional add-on is one of the many ways that AWEA is working to engage conference participants in our sustainability efforts for the event.
Community Service Project = 150 Trees
Together for the 2019 WINDPOWER Community Service Project we donated $6,700 to the Arbor Day Foundation. This donation is funding a large tree distribution event in early fall 2019 in the Rockport Community near Houston. Our support allows 150 large trees to be distributed.
The 2017 hurricane season was unprecedented. Tree devastating storms ripped through the United States, leaving a path of destruction throughout Texas, Florida, and Puerto Rico. Immediate humanitarian need has rightly been the focus of providing support to those affected communities. However, it is imperative to also replace the lost green infrastructure.
The Arbor Day Foundation has been called upon by the community to restore the countless trees that were damaged or destroyed by Hurricane Harvey and to position Texas best for a sustainable, more resilient, long-term recovery. Our efforts helped them do so.
WINDPOWER Sustainability Goals:
- Make the event 100% Wind Powered
- Advance Stakeholder Engagement and Education around Sustainable Practices
- Reuse, Repurpose or Donate any and all materials and food related to the event
- Increase participation of attendees and exhibitors in WINDPOWER sustainability initiatives
Did You Know:
- WINDPOWER requires that front of house composting be available throughout the convention center for the duration of our event.
- WINDPOWER has set show minimum waste diversion rate goal of 65%. Industry average at convention centers is less than 50%.
- Almost HALF of WINDPOWER attendees download the mobile app rather than using a printed expo guide.
- You can offset your carbon footprint from traveling and being at WINDPOWER that supports wind energy projects when you register for WINDPOWER.